The type of treatment strongly depends on how long ago the animal ate the bait, and what kind of signs they presented with. Some owners are lucky enough to catch their pets in the act of eating the bait, meaning that treatment is more preventative. If the animal has eaten the bait less than an hour ago, then giving an injection to cause the animal to vomit will minimise the amount of toxin they absorb. A small amount of toxin may still be absorbed, so often treatment with Vitamin K tablets is recommended regardless of long ago the animal ate the bait.
If rodenticide ingestion has gone unnoticed and the animal presents with an acute bleeding disorder, then treatment becomes more aggressive. While Vitamin K treatment is still the main part of treatment, other things like intravenous fluid therapy, plasma transfusions, and whole blood transfusions may be involved. Acute bleeding disorders due to rodenticide toxicity are an emergency and often result in the animal being hospitalised for several days. Overnight care at a 24-hour facility may be recommended.